- Population Growth rate of various religion has come down in the last decade (2001-2011).
- Hindu Population Growth rate slowed down to 16.76 % from previous decade figure of 19.92% while Muslim witness sharp fall in growth rate to 24.60% (2001-2011) from the previous figure of 29.52 % (1991-2001).
- Such sharp fall in population growth rate for Muslims didn’t happened in the last 6 decades.
- Christian Population growth was at 15.5% while Sikh population growth rate stood at 8.4%.
- The most educated and wealthly community of Jains registered least growth rate in 2001-2011 with figure of just 5.4%.
- The Growth rate of Hindus, Muslims and Christian is expected to fall more in upcoming 2021 census while other religions like Sikhism, Jainism and Buddism are expected to remain stable for next 2 decades considering already slowed down growth rate of these religions.
Hindu Population 2011
- India is home for Hinduism where close to 97 Crores Hindus reside.
- In India, out of total population of 121 crores 79.8% are Hindus. Population Growth rate of Hindusim in the last decade (2001-2011) stood at 16.8 % from previous figure of 19.92 %.
- Hinduism is followed majority by all states except Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram (Christianity Dominated), Punjab (Sikhism Dominated), Jammu & Kashmir and Lakshadweep(Islam Dominated).
Muslim Population 2011
- Muslims in India are about 17.22 Crores i.e. 14.2 % of total population of India follows Islam.
- India is home to close to 11% of total Muslims Population of World.
- While its claimed that India has more Muslims than Pakistan, its not true statiscally. India has third highest Muslim Population after Indonesia and Pakistan.
- Muslims makes up majority in UT Lakshadweep and Jammu & Kashmir while it population is substaintial states of Assam, West Bengal, Kerala and Uttar Pradesh.
Christian Population 2011
- In India, Christian Population is 2.78 Crores as per latest figure of 2011 Census which is about 2.3% of total Indian Population.
- Decadal Growth rate of Christianity fell from 22.52 % to 15.5% in 2001-2011.
- Christianity is domninant religion in North East states of Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya and Manipur while they make substaintial population in states of Arunachal Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Goa and Andaman Nicobar Islands. For Complete Figures of each state Click Here.
Sikh Population 2011
- India has Sikh Population of 2.08 crores as per latest figures of 2011 census. The Growth rate of Sikhism fell down to 8.4 % from previous figure of 16.98 %.
- Sikhism is dominated religion in state of Punjab while it has some impact in Haryana, Delhi NCR, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
Buddhist Population 2011
- Approximately 84 lakhs Buddhist reside in India who makes up 0.7% of Indian Population.
- Growth rate of Buddhism has fell down from 22.83 % to just 6.1 % as per latest figures of 2011 census.
- Most of Buddhist are Dalits who converted from Hinduism due to discrimination in Hindu Caste System.
- Buddhist are concentrated in state of Maharashtra which makes 75% of total Buddhist Population and 6% of total Maharashtra Population
Jain Population 2011
- India is home to 45 lakhs Jainism follower. While Jains Population is just 0.4% of Indian Population, its impact on Indian Economy remains high.
- It’s believed that Jains are most educated and wealthy community in India and therefore it maintains its impact on politics and business of India.
- Most of Jains belongs to business Community and live in states of Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka and Delhi NCR.
|All Religion||100%||121 Crores||35|
|Hindu||79.80 %||96.62 Crores||28|